Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soup Club



My Soup club consists of four busy moms (including me) from my neighbourhood. We all have very different lives, but share one common problem: after we take care of everyone else, we often find that we neglect ourselves. (I.E. forgetting to eat lunch 3 days in a row!).

Out of our shared love of soup, we formed a club to rotate soup making each week. The rules are simple: make soup, enough for two-three bowls per person, and deliver to friends. That way, after only making soup once, we all get fed lunch for a month!

The bonus of soup club is that we get to share receipes and sometimes, mistakes, and remind each other to take a least five minutes for our selves.



This week was my turn. I decided on Pureed Vegetable Soup for my friends (a favourite from Williams-Sonoma "Soup").

Here's the recipe - For my Soup Club I doubled the measurements:

2 TBSP Olive Oil
3 Leeks, including light green parts, finely chopped (I roughly chopped mine and they were fine)
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 zucchini, sliced
3 waxy (all-purpose) potatoes sliced very thin
1 1/2 TBSP Tomato Paste
6 cups prepared chicken or vegetable broth (I made mine from chicken leftover from the weekend).
1 cup chickpeas
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
Salt and white pepper

Directions:
1)In a large saucepan, heat oil and cook leeks over medium heat unitl translucent.
2)Add carrots, zucchini, and potatoes and saute until they begin to soften (3 min)
3)Add tomato paste and stock, cover partially until veggies are tender (25-30 min)
4)Add chickpeas and cook additional 3 min. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
4)Blend in batched in a food processor, or, use emulsion blender,until smooth.
5)Optional: add lemon zest and parsley when served.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...I love soup...one of my favorites things to make. I have a recipe for tomato soup that makes the BEST tomato soup I have ever eaten. I don't like canned tomato soup but this is great.
If you are interested, send me an email...it is quite long so it would be best for email.

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

what a fantastic idea!! wish I knew some moms in my neighborhood to do something like that! thanks for sharing the recipe. sounds yummy!

lyptis said...

Hey, what an Awesome idea!!

I shud do that, i almost never eat lunch or breakfast, i always wait til my boy gets home!
He can cook!;P